In some wine-growing countries, sustainable production is regulated at a national level. Winegrowers there are provided with written rules to apply for a sustainable production certificate. Seeing that Slovenia has no such unified system, we took the initiative to prepare the sustainable production rules for our members.
The bee sign on the back label of our premium wines symbolises our commitment to sustainable production. The presence of bees in our vineyards is invaluable, as it reflects ecological balance and biodiversity. Furthermore, bees play a key role in pollination – the most important ecosystem function, without which cultivation of food would be impossible.
There are no vineyards without nature, and no future without vineyards. By cultivating the land in a professional and responsible manner, our winegrowing families have reached a sustainable harmony with nature and ensured their stable future.
Our vineyards are under a careful supervision of two agronomists, who advise our winegrowing families on the best sustainable production practices. We pay special attention to the preparation of the land and the selection of suitable varieties for individual locations to minimise the need for vine protection treatments. Striving to preserve species diversity, we provide shelter for wild animals, birds, and insects by implementing permanent greening and maintaining the hedges between vineyards.
Building a community
Our winery unites 400 local winegrowing families. By following sustainable production principles, we ensure their social and economic stability. To guarantee their prosperity and long-term growth of their farms, we need to be profitable, well organised, and rational. With successful marketing of our wines, we wish to contribute to the prosperity of everyone within the cooperative.
In Brda, viticulture is preserved in all its authenticity: vineyards are scattered among fruit trees, olive plantations, and forests. Our winegrowers maintain the landscape and cultivate it in traditional terraces, keeping it diverse, kind to locals, and more attractive for tourists, thus contributing to job creation and the development of the whole region.
- We adhere to strict waste separation regulations.
- We use only energy-efficient light bulbs.
- We are mindful of turning off all electronic devices after we leave.
- We monitor and limit water consumption.
- We offer our guests tap water to limit the use of plastic water bottles.
- We monitor and limit electricity consumption.
- We only print documents when absolutely necessary.
- We serve mainly local products at our wine tastings and tours.
- We use organically produced detergents and soaps.
- We use recycled paper in our toilet facilities and biodegradable cutlery at our events.
- We actively participate in our local community and support local initiatives and associations.